Apprentice Luke Tarrant labels six-week ban for reckless riding “ridiculous”, plans to appeal charge
QUEENSLAND apprentice jockey Luke Tarrant has been slapped with a six-week ban for reckless riding despite protesting the charge was “ridiculous”.
The young rider told chief steward Allan Reardon he felt ‘’sick in the guts’’ that rival jockeys accused him of recklessly causing interference in last Saturday’s Grand Prix Stakes at Doomben.
Sydney hoops including Hugh Bowman and James McDonald said it was some of the most reckless riding they had seen when Tarrant, on Jumbo Prince, came across the face of the field at the start.
He was only the second Queensland jockey in the last 10 years to be found guilty of reckless riding and only the fourth in the past 30 years.
It has wiped out his chances of winning this season’s Brisbane jockeys’ premiership which he was vying for with Jim Byrne and Tim Bell.
Tarrant, named the Rising Star at Racing Queensland’s apprentice awards, had pleaded not guilty to reckless riding and partially blamed Glen Boss on Rhodin Drive for causing the interference in the first 100m of the Grand Prix.
He had earlier admitted being careless, but strongly disputed the reckless accusation.
‘’I’m far from a reckless rider, it makes me sick they (rival jockeys) think that,’’ Tarrant said.
‘’I was trying to ride competitively in a big race.’’
Reardon found Tarrant guilty of the charge and told the young jockey: ‘’We believe your actions are reckless and you continued riding without caution.
‘’We don’t feel (Glen) Boss has a part to play in this.’’
Tarrant’s six-week ban will be served concurrently with his eight-meeting suspension and will start at midnight on Sunday.
He was shattered with the outcome and plans to lodge an appeal.